Thursday, November 28, 2013

Devotion Day 4 - Giving Thanks

Well, the day has come!  Welcome to Thanksgiving Day.

I have already shared what takes place at my home during Thanksgiving, but none of what I’ve shared is the most important.  Each year before we eat, we take some time to reflect on what we are thankful for.  Family, friends, food on the table, and God above all are generally the top of the list.  This year, I would add some things.  I am thankful for YASC (my sending organization) for finding me the perfect placement.  I am thankful for the new friends I have made through YASC.  I am thankful for the family I have come to know at CAMS.  I am thankful for the opportunity to teach.  I am thankful for the work everyone at CAMS does. 

Take a minute to think about what you are thankful for.  Who wants to share?  Leave a comment below!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

We are reminded to “give thanks in all circumstances.”  It may be easy to give thanks on a day set aside for just doing that, but it is not always easy.  It’s not easy to be thankful when you are frustrated with someone, suffer a disappointment, or are surrounded by tragedy.  It’s not easy to be thankful when someone has wronged you.  How can we possibly be thankful then?

I am not going to try to pretend to be an expert on this subject.  I can only tell you what I know as a person who always tries to see the bright side of things.  I know that even when you are having your worst day, you are still having a day.  I know that for everything someone does that frustrates you, there is at least one thing someone else does to make you happy.  God asks us to be thankful always.  It may seem like an impossible task, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. 

Let’s pray.

Thank You, God, for little things
that often come our way--
The things we take for granted
but don't mention when we pray--
The unexpected courtesy,
the thoughtful, kindly deed--
A hand reached out to help us
in the time of sudden need--
Oh, make us more aware, dear God,
of little daily graces
That come to us with "sweet surprise"
from never-dreamed-of places.

Helen Steiner Rice
 

No comments:

Post a Comment